Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Not My Choice of Meat...

Ross & I have really gotten off track of 'healthy eating' lately. We've never really been 'on track,' but I like to think that since I don't buy Chips Ahoy weekly, or eat fast food everyday, we must be ahead of most Americans :)

Which is why I was so excited to finally kick myself into gear by signing up for TheFresh20! My cousin so eagerly sang their praises time and time again about how easy it was to plan your weekly dinner menu when they do all the work for you! And since their weekly menus consist of only 20 ingredients (hence, the name) and healthy choices, it was a smart and budget friendly choice.

But it still took awhile to convince me to sign up. Ross & I are quite the pros when it comes to planning our dinners for the week! We've been doing it forever b/c I refuse to buy too much food that will eventually not get eaten. We were great at making up our grocery list for the week, and buying only what was on the list. Go Us! But then again, our meals were beginning to get repeditive and boring, and not extremely healthy (especially since we considered our side of corn our only choice of veggie...which in fact, is not a veggie at all!). So my reasons for signing up steered towards getting more creative dinner ideas, and healthy dinner ideas. And then one day I could possibly go back to planning my own weekly dinners again.

So last night was our first try at this. I had all my ingredients bought, and looked forward to our week of dinners. (I chose the 9/2 menu if anyone cares.) On the menu were burgers, salmon, veggie casserole, stuffed chicken....all things that sounded great!

Last night Ross & I made the burgers. Or should I say...TURKEY burgers. Ugh. Ok....maybe they won't be so bad. I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover! But apparently I don't read recipes well, b/c if I had noticed that I was to put shredded carrots in them...this dinner would've never happened! Who puts carrots in a burger?!?!?! Ew. But I forged ahead. Surely the provolone cheese and special dressing would make up for it? Or maybe not. After eating about 3/4's of my burger, I couldn't pretend to like it any longer, so Ross finished it for me! At least one of us didn't mind it! And here I sit now at work, eating a leftover turkey burger and it's still not growing on me. Something about the texture is throwing me off! And the carrots. They just don't belong in my burger!

So the first recipe we tried wasn't great. It was definitely healthy, but I just don't know about this. I choose red meat over turkey ANY day of the week. So here we go, with still a week's worth of recipes to try and hopefully some better luck than we had with the first recipe! After all, I guess I signed up for 3 months (at only $5/month it's quite a deal!) so I might as well give it a go for that long :) Wish us luck!

4 comments:

  1. We LOVE turkey burgers now! But I do remember thinking "YUCK" the first time or 2. However, we've made burgers at our house for parties, and guess what?!?! They were turkey burgers (we really don't ever buy red meat, especially ground up). So just add more spices (garlic, onion, a decent amount of salt, anything really that you like...even add in shredded cheese, that could be yummy). You'll get used to healthy eating, but it doesn't take 1 meal, it takes a few:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahaha... Oh Kristin carrots in your burger?! Remind me to ask you what you're cooking when we manage to have a dinner party @ your house ;)

    I can't wait to hear more about the rest of your food adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so I have a better news...tried a veggie casserole last night and I loved it! Of course, Ross liked the burgers better. But looks like we're making progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought into Fresh20 too. Marianne and I ate that way in Alaska when I was visiting. I find that I sort of pick and choose the menus in a week, partly because we have other commitments or eating out or ...??? I made the veggie casserole (but not the turkey burgers)...and loved the casserole. It made a huge amount..the 9X13 pan. I was eating it for lunch for a few days afterwards. I do love knowing that once I get the ingredients, I'm all prepared for dinner without thinking about if I have everything in the house for whatever I plan (which is usually at the last minute!)

    ReplyDelete