Saturday, May 1, 2010

Farewell Old Friend...

Even though we technically moved 2 weeks ago, it was only yesterday that we finally turned in the keys to the old apartment. It was a bittersweet moment. That apartment was a first for many things, and looking back on it, I can't believe how much has changed since first moving in there. I lived there for 3 years, and Ross, 2 years. It was my first taste of independence, my first taste of adulthood. I never really had the "college" experience, so the first year of living alone really allowed me to learn a lot about myself. I held my first "real world" job while living there. I transferred to GVA Oxford only months after moving in there, and got laid off from GVA months before moving out, so I really relate that apartment to my time spent at a job I enjoyed that also helped carve a path for my future.

Ross & I got engaged while living there and married the next year:
We brought home Dakota to that apartment. She was my first dog (aside from family pets, that don't count) that I had to beg and beg Ross to allow me to get. Of course, I had wanted a pug all along, but we had compromised & settled on a miniature dachshund. Now I could officially call us a "family."


We also hosted our very first party with all of our friends on New Year's Eve 2008. It was a blast and one to remember :)
A lot has changed for Ross as well since moving in. This apartment was his first time not living at home with his parents anymore. He always commuted to college, so he also did not have the "college" experience. Aside from that, he's now a married man :) He also graduated from Robert Morris, and then IUP with his master's. He was studying hard in those days, and now finally has time to relax. He also purchased his first bike (after nicely calling me @ work one day to ask for permission, I'll never forget that phone call!) What a good husband :)

In case you're wondering, he's moved on already to a newer and better bike, for no cost, don't ask how but I guess my husband's a hustler! Don't worry if you can't see a difference, b/c I couldn't either and he was offended, ha!

Even though 3 years may not sound like a lot of time, it's amazing how much has changed! I can't wait to see what the next 3 years holds for us. We hope to own our first house in the next 3 years, and I hope to see us both working full-time jobs that we love and in the careers we had seen for ourselves. Maybe that is asking too much, but you can't have what you don't strive for. So here's a toast to the future and remembering old times :)

3 comments:

  1. You're so old now:) And Dakota is big now...but still adorable! (Even though she hates my dog!). Here's to the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how dumpy (the infamous trailer) each place I've lived has been, I've been sad to leave them because of the memories and that chapter of my life! Here's to the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dakota LOVED that elephant - emphasis on LOVED. You said she hated it in the video lol. Here's to the next chapter in your lives in a new apartment! :)

    ReplyDelete