Thursday, March 11, 2010

Another Insightful Thought....

Well, I'm happy I could rub off my positive attitude on a few people from my last post. I guess I WAS insightful, b/c I ended up landing a job!! Finally!! But you know what I've learned, that your career path is not necessarily dictated on the skills and experience you have listed on your resume. Yeah, it might look good and land you an interview, but all in all, I think it's all about "timing."

I had an interview on Tuesday with this company that called me back today to offer me the job. They are a smaller company, that handles organizations 401(k)'s (HEY! maybe they tell me what the heck to do with my 401(k) from my last job :) ....anywho!) .....they wear jeans EVERYDAY, the 5 people I met on my interview were all really friendly and laid-back, I have free parking, and it's only a 10-minute commute! Hallelujah!

BUT....here's where the "timing" comes into play....I have a "phone screening" tomorrow (Fri.) with an administrative job I applied to for Westinghouse. WESTINGHOUSE! I didn't think they'd actually call back when I applied!! Holy cow!! SO....do I go ahead and just take the job I was offered....with so-so pay, but a great work environment, alas doing a job that keeps me in the same position I've been in for 3 years? I mean...Westinghouse would give me that boost in my career, and probably offer a heck of a salary.

Hm...what a dilemma. I haven't accepted the first job yet, but I only have a few days to decide. And most likely, Westinghouse would take weeks to get through the whole interview process. So I guess I will end up taking the first job, and hopefully I don't miss out on Westinghouse. Heck, maybe after tom.'s phone screening...I won't want it anyway. I guess I gotta take it one step at a time.

So to sum it up...my career path is being dictated based on timing.

5 comments:

  1. congratulations! Any job is better than none, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY:D Let me know what happens with the phone screening tomorrow! I'm so happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rub your luck off on me. But CONGRATS! I'm so excited for you! I say take the first job, and if in a few weeks Westinghouse offers you something better, then move on. Sucks for the other company, but you gotta do what you gotta do! Congrats! Does this mean no more lunch fridays? J/K!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw... I will miss lunch fridays :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats - such wonderful news! I would accept the first job you were offered and just wait to see about Westinghouse if it may take a couple weeks. If they offer you the job you can choose which one you want! :)

    ReplyDelete