Thursday, October 28, 2010

Out with the Red, In with the New

It's times like this that I wish I knew how to sew! I've been wanting to learn for years now, but have not made the time or space for a sewing machine. You see, my latest pet peeve is mine & Ross' red couch:

If only there were a way to cover the red nicely! Sure, I don't mind it so much in this picture with the white throw and white pillows, but you see, that was just my way of trying to get rid of the red.....8 months ago! Now that we're buying a new house, I give myself an excuse to redecorate, and I'm done with red. OUT. Nada. No More. BUT you see, we don't exactly have money for a new couch, so I have to make do with what we have. My solution was a sofa slipcover:
Awful, right?! Any suggestions? Of course, I think it would help if it weren't so wrinkled! I literally pulled it right out of the package in all my excitement and threw it on the couch. I'm tempted to wash and dry it to get rid of the wrinkles, and if I still hate it, I may still try to return it!
I want to bring greens, yellows & neutrals in the new house, so my other ideas are to buy a green-ish throw to drape over the couch, maybe 2 to break up the white, and some colorful pillows. Do you think that would help?! I'm really at a loss. I guess it's worth a shot to accessorize first and then return it if I still hate it. But sadly, I think I'm willing to work with this, as ugly as it may be, than live with red for any longer. Too bad I couldn't just sew myself a customized slipcover. Now that would be 'snazzy' :)
My suggestion to my future self? Always buy neutral-colored furniture and accessorize with colors. Much cheaper than buying brand new furniture after only a few years of wear & tear.

3 comments:

  1. You could always try to sell it on Craig's List..... Then maybe you'd have enough $$ to get a new one? Just a thought.. But yes, my mother always told me always buy neutral & accessorize with colors for big item purchases - I guess my mom was right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not a bad idea. I'll have to see how Ross feels about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I graduated from college, I got this awful, ugly 80s era love seat from an old boss. It had that textured, purple/teal/cream fabric on it that looked like it came straight from Miami Vice.

    So I, like you, bought a slip cover for it. And just like you, I HATED the fit, but liked the colors. So... I kept the slip cover, bought some matching cheap fabric from Jo-Ann's and recovered the cusions. Then I used a staple gun to really fit the slip cover to the couch so it didn't look as much like a slip cover.

    Sounds tough right? For the cushions, I literally took the fabric, wrapped it around the cushion (no seam on the front) and hand sewed the 3 other sides to make it fit. Think of it like wrapping a present only using a thread and needle instead of tape. I'm sure you could find a great, easy, good looking way to do this on YouTube or some other crafty site.

    As you enter into this phase of home improvement, my strongest advice is do not be afraid to try anything (except electrical, plumbing and structural stuff). And if you can conquer sewing, home improvement will be a breeze! :)

    ReplyDelete